Salted Chocolate Ganache Cake
1 1/4 c sifted cake flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 c packed dark brown sugar
1/4 c butter, softened
1 large egg
3/4 cup evaporated milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large egg whites
1/2 tsp orange extract
3 T dark brown sugar
2 1/2 oz dark chocolate, divided
1 T butter
1/4 tsp sea salt or fleur de sel
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Coat 1 (9-inch) round cake pan with baking spray.
3. Lightly spoon cake flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and baking powder in a bowl; stir with a whisk. Place 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 5 minutes). Add egg; mix well. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in vanilla.
4. Beat egg whites with a mixer at high speed until foamy using clean, dry beaters. Gradually add 3 tablespoons sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Gently fold half of egg white mixture into flour mixture; fold in remaining egg white mixture. Grate 1/2 ounce chocolate; fold grated chocolate into batter. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 23 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely on a wire rack.
5. Chop the remaining 2 ounces chocolate. Combine chocolate, 1 tablespoon butter, and orange extract in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave at medium 1 minute or until chocolate melts, stirring every 15 seconds. Spread chocolate mixture over top of cake; sprinkle evenly with sea salt.
4 days ago